UHIP is mandatory for all international students. You are required to be enrolled in UHIP unless you are provided an exemption.
Pre-Approved Health Care Plans:
You are eligible for an exemption if you receive coverage from one of the following Pre-Approved Health Care Plans:
- Canadian International Development Agency Health Care Plan
- Canadian Bureau for International Education Health Care Plan
- Canadian Commonwealth Scholarship and Fellowship Plan
- International Council for Canadian Studies Plan
- National Insurance Office for Social Insurance Abroad (Norway)
- World University Service of Canada Plan
- Embassy of Kuwait
- Interim Federal Health Care Plan
- Health Economic Administration, HELFO Abroad
- Saudi Arabian Cultural Bureau - GWL
- Libyan Plan
- Schlumberger Plan
- Fletcher Allen
- Guard.me Canada csf plan for the Canadian Bureau for International Education (This plan is approved for exemption to UHIP effective July 1, 2013 for the 2013-2014 academic year only)
To receive an exemption, you must visit the UHIP office with the appropriate Pre-Approved Health Care Plan Form and proof of your health coverage. The refund for your UHIP premium will be adjusted on your ROSI account. All pre-approved exemption requests must be initiated as soon as possible. Applications will not be accepted after the refund deadline. Please see the UHIP Refund section for more information.
Non Pre-Approved Plans:
All international students are required to join UHIP, unless covered by a pre-approved plan. If you receive coverage from a health plan that is not listed above, you may apply for an exemption directly to Sun Life. However, please be aware that it is extremely difficult to obtain an exemption from UHIP. All non pre-approved exemption requests must be initiated no more than 30 days after you are enrolled in UHIP.
To apply for exemption, you will need to fill out and submit a UHIP Exemption Form. This form, along with all required documents, must be sent directly to Sun Life:
Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada
PO Box 4097, Station A
Toronto, Ontario M5W 2Z5
Telephone: 1- 877-250-UHIP (8447)
Please see the UHIP website for more information.