English Language Requirements
Please note: The information on this page is intended for exchange students only. If you are applying to U of T as a degree-seeking student, please see the Enrolment Services website (for undergraduate admissions) or the School of Graduate Studies website.
The official language of instruction at the University of Toronto is English. If your first language is not English, you will be required to demonstrate that you have sufficient ability to complete university-level courses in English. Below you will find the English language proficiency requirements for entry to the University of Toronto.
For information about improving your English while studying at U of T, see our Language Support page.
TOEFL and IELTS Minimum Scores
Effective for the 2015/2016 academic year, the University of Toronto will accept only English test scores from TOEFL Internet-based Test (IBT) and IELTS for exchange applications.
Minimum Requirements for Undergraduate Level Studies
- TOEFL Internet-based Test (IBT): minimum 89 overall + 19 on the writing section.
- The minimum IELTS score requirement is an overall band of 6.5, with no band below 6.0.
We DO NOT accept TOEFL "Institutional Testing Program" (ITP) scores.
Minimum Requirements for Graduate Level Studies (Masters and PhD)
- TOEFL Internet-based Test (IBT): minimum 93 overall +22 on the writing/speaking section.
- The minimum IELTS score requirement is an overall band of 7.0.
- For more information, please see the School of Graduate Studies web page.
Minimum Requirements for the Faculty of Law
- TOEFL Internet-based Test (IBT): minimum 100 overall + 25 on the reading and writing sections.
- The minimum IELTS score requirement is an overall band of 7.0, with no band below 6.5.